Add emotion and depth to your project with powerful, evocative wind sounds from legendary film sound designers.
Recorded and designed by film sound legends Ann Kroeber and Alan Splet (well known for their work with David Lynch), the Cinematic Winds sound effects library delivers diverse recordings from eerie, hollow wind sounds to whipping, stormy moodscapes.
Cinematic Winds is an exclusive collection of sound effects selected from the venerable Kroeber-Splet private recording archive, Sound Mountain. “Of all the sounds from our library, the wind recordings are some of the most iconic and evocative,” says Ann Kroeber, having created an extensive sound catalog with her late partner Splet over decades of pioneering their craft.
Wind is one of the most difficult elements to record. This is why Pro Sound Effects is proud to offer this carefully curated library from two artful sound designers and recordists we have tremendous respect for. Take your next sound design project to the next level by dragging and dropping the work of Kroeber and Splet into your scene.
Like all of our exclusive specialty libraries, Cinematic Winds is included in the Pro Sound Effects Master Library.
This special collection includes over 3 hours of 24-bit/48kHz WAV format wind effects and recordings perfect for inducing subtle, subconscious emotion, imposing a powerful presence, and creating earthy or surreal soundscapes in your production.
Descriptive embedded metadata helps you find exactly the sound you need with practical, literal interpretations as well as emotional impressions of the sound effects. The wind sounds are grouped into five categories:
- Moody Winds: Tonal, eerie, mournful, lonely
- Interior Winds: Resonant staircases, barns, caves, pipes
- Nature Winds: Through trees, over mountains, water, sand
- Wild Winds: Gusting, whipping, whooshing, swirling
- Storm Winds: Intense, howling, rumbling, shrieking
- 98 wind sound effects (3.3GB)
- Over 3 hours of emotive, iconic wind recordings
- Average file length: 1 minute 57 seconds
- View PDF Sound List
- 24-bit/48kHz broadcast WAV files
- Descriptive embedded metadata
- 100% Royalty-Free for use in any project
- Download or flash drive delivery (+$40)
Try It Out for Free:
Stories & Reviews:
Video courtesy of Michael Coleman & Ann Kroeber
“Because of his good ears and his technical ability, [Alan Splet] would record things that had maximum power…He recorded these beautiful winds, and they are just beautiful. They just make you soar out.”
– David Lynch (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Twin Peaks)
“Ann Kroeber has a unique ability to provide one-of-a-kind sound effects. Both as a recordist, and as the knowledgeable gatekeeper of a vast, renowned library, Ann has given me great sounds that lead to great ideas.”
– Gary Rydstrom (Winner of 7 Academy Awards in sound)
Read more on Cinematic Winds:
- PSE Blog: Cinematic Winds Release
- SoundWorks Collection: Ann Kroeber Interview
- Sound & Picture: Film Sound Legend Ann Kroeber Shares 30 Years of Evocative Recordings in New Cinematic Winds Collection
- The Sound Architect: Cinematic Winds Review